Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3199-1
16th February, 2017
Python Crypto vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.10
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Programs using the Python Cryptography Toolkit could be made to crash or run programs if they receive specially crafted network traffic or other input.
- python-crypto - cryptographic algorithms and protocols for Python
It was discovered that the ALGnew function in block_templace.c in the Python
Cryptography Toolkit contained a heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability.
A remote attacker could use this flaw to execute arbitrary code by using
a crafted initialization vector parameter.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.10:
- python3-crypto 2.6.1-6ubuntu0.16.10.2
- python-crypto 2.6.1-6ubuntu0.16.10.2
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- python3-crypto 2.6.1-6ubuntu0.16.04.1
- python-crypto 2.6.1-6ubuntu0.16.04.1
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- python3-crypto 2.6.1-4ubuntu0.1
- python-crypto 2.6.1-4ubuntu0.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.