CentOS Blog: CentOS Pulse Newsletter, October 2018 (#1805)
Dear CentOS enthusiast,
Here's what's been happening in the past month at CentOS
Releases and Updates
The following releases and updates happened in August. For each update, the given URL provides the upstream notes about the change.
Errata and Enhancements Advisories
We issued the following CEEA (CentOS Errata and Enhancements Advisories) during September:
- CEEA-2018:2675 CentOS 6 microcode_ctl Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023019.html
- CEEA-2018:2397 CentOS 7 microcode_ctl Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023021.html
Errata and Security Advisories
We issued the following CESA (CentOS Errata and Security Advisories) during September:
- CESA-2018:2693 Critical CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023020.html
- CESA-2018:2692 Critical CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023022.html
- CESA-2018:2732 Important CentOS 6 spice-server Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023023.html
- CESA-2018:2732 Important CentOS 6 spice-gtk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023024.html
- CESA-2018:2737 Important CentOS 6 mod_perl Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023025.html
- CESA-2018:2834 Moderate CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023026.html
- CESA-2018:2748 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023027.html
- CESA-2018:2835 Moderate CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023028.html
- CESA-2018:2768 Moderate CentOS 7 nss Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023030.html
- CESA-2018:2757 Moderate CentOS 7 389-ds-base Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023042.html
- CESA-2018:2766 Moderate CentOS 7 flatpak Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023043.html
- CESA-2018:2731 Important CentOS 7 spice Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023047.html
- CESA-2018:2731 Important CentOS 7 spice-gtk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023048.html
Errata and Bugfix Advisories
We issued the following CEBA (CentOS Errata and Bugfix Advisories) during September:
- CEBA-2018:2760 CentOS 7 ipa BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023029.html
- CEBA-2018:2754 CentOS 7 gcc-libraries BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023031.html
- CEBA-2018:2755 CentOS 7 tomcat BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023032.html
- CEBA-2018:2753 CentOS 7 systemd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023033.html
- CEBA-2018:2756 CentOS 7 sssd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023034.html
- CEBA-2018:2770 CentOS 7 pcs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023035.html
- CEBA-2018:2759 CentOS 7 pki-core BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023036.html
- CEBA-2018:2752 CentOS 7 scap-security-guide BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023037.html
- CEBA-2018:2769 CentOS 7 libvirt BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023038.html
- CEBA-2018:2765 CentOS 7 mutter BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023039.html
- CEBA-2018:2767 CentOS 7 mod_wsgi BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023040.html
- CEBA-2018:2761 CentOS 7 kexec-tools BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023041.html
- CEBA-2018:2771 CentOS 7 dconf BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023044.html
- CEBA-2018:2758 CentOS 7 firewalld BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023045.html
- CEBA-2018:2764 CentOS 7 initscripts BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-September/023046.html
Blog posts and news
If you're not watching the CentOS blog, you may be missing our periodic updates there. I'd like to particularly draw attention to two recent posts:
EPEL for armhfp - Pablo Greco posted about the work on armhfp in the EPEL repository.
New CentOS Pastebin Instance - John R. Dennison posted about the new CentOS pastebin, and the more modern functionality that comes with it.
If you'd like to post on the CentOS blog about work you're doing around the CentOS community, please don't hesitate to contact me directly, at [email protected]
SIGs - Special Interest Groups - are where people work on the stuff that runs on top of CentOS. Here's some of the highlights from a few of our SIGs from the past month
The RDO project and the Cloud SIG participated in the OpenStack PTG (Project Teams Gathering) last month in Denver, and we anticipate seeing the interviews from that event start coming to the RDO YouTube channel in the coming weeks. They'll also be participating in the upcoming SIG day ahead of the CERN Dojo in October.
In September, we had a table at ApacheCon in Montreal, Canada. CentOS is a platform which many open source projects use for development and testing, and the Apache community of projects is no exception. We had visits from representatives from several Apache projects, and talked about the CentOS CI infrastructure, and our SIGs.
October 12-13: In 2 weeks, CentOS will be sponsoring Ohio LinuxFest in Columbus, Ohio. OLF is an annual gathering of Linux and Open Source enthusiasts from Ohio and the greater Ohio Valley area. We are looking forward to conversations with attendees. If you'd like to volunteer some time to work the CentOS table, please contact me - [email protected] - to volunteer. Ohio LinuxFest will be held October 12-13 at the Hyatt Regency Columbus.
October 19th: In the third week of October, we'll be gathering at CERN for the annual CERN CentOS Dojo. Details and the event schedule are available on the event website. The event is free to attend, but you must register, in order to get through security at the front desk. That's October 19th at CERN!
October 22-24: CentOS will also have a presence at the Open Source Summit, in Edinburgh, Scotland. Drop by the Red Hat booth for all your CentOS sticker needs.
October 29-31: Finally, we'll also be at LISA/Usenix in Nashville, in the last week of October.
We look forward to meeting you at any or all of these venues!
Contributing to CentOS Pulse
We are always on the look-out for people who are interested in helping to:
- report on CentOS community activity
- provide a report from the SIG on which you participate
- maintain a (sub-)section of the newsletter
- write an article on an interesting person or topic
- provide the hint, tip or trick of the month
Please see the page with further information about contributing. You can also contact the Promotion SIG, or just email Rich directly ([email protected]) with ideas or articles that you'd like to see in the next newsletter....