CentOS Blog: CentOS Pulse Newsletter, May 2019 (#1905)
Dear CentOS enthusiast,
Another month into 2019, and we have a lot to tell you about.
Yes, we've mentioned this before, but we're still pretty stoked about it. On the 15th, we celebrated our 15th birthday with a small group of friends in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, before our Dojo at Oak Ridge National Laboratories. You can see some of the videos from that event beginning to appear on our YouTube channel.
If you would like to talk about your involvement in CentOS, please get in touch with Rich at [email protected] You don't need to be one of the founders - just to have something interesting to say about your involvement, past, present, and future.
As we mentioned last month, there have been some significant changes to git.centos.org. The service was upgraded/migrated to Pagure. You can read details about the change, and instructions on using the new service on the mailing list archive. And further documentation is now in the wiki, at https://wiki.centos.org/Sources
If you have any questions or difficulties using the new service, please drop by either the centos-devel mailing list, or the #centos-devel IRC channel on Freenode.
Releases and updates
We had another moderately busy month for update and releases.
Errata and Enhancements Advisories
We issued the following CEEA (CentOS Errata and Enhancements Advisories) during April:
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEEA-2019:0045 CentOS 7 rsync Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023284.html
Errata and Security Advisories
We issued the following CESA (CentOS Errata and Security Advisories) during April:
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CESA-2019:0672 Critical CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023255.html
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CESA-2019:0680 Important CentOS 6 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023256.html
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CESA-2019:0671 Critical CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023257.html
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CESA-2019:0681 Important CentOS 7 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023258.html
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CESA-2019:0679 Important CentOS 7 libssh2 Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023259.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CESA-2019:0711 Low CentOS 6 openssh Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023261.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CESA-2019:0717 Important CentOS 6 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023265.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CESA-2019:0697 Important CentOS 7 freerdp Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023267.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CESA-2019:0710 Important CentOS 7 python Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023268.html
- Tue Apr 16 2019: CESA-2019:0766 Important CentOS 7 mod_auth_mellon Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023270.html
- Wed Apr 17 2019: CESA-2019:0230 Important CentOS 7 polkit Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023271.html
- Wed Apr 17 2019: CESA-2019:0230 Important CentOS 7 polkit Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023272.html
- Fri Apr 19 2019: CESA-2019:0778 Moderate CentOS 7 java-11-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023273.html
- Fri Apr 19 2019: CESA-2019:0775 Important CentOS 7 java-1.8.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023274.html
- Fri Apr 19 2019: CESA-2019:0774 Important CentOS 6 java-1.8.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023275.html
- Mon Apr 22 2019: CESA-2019:0791 Important CentOS 7 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023276.html
- Mon Apr 22 2019: CESA-2019:0790 Important CentOS 6 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023277.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CESA-2019:0818 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023278.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CESA-2019:0809 Important CentOS 7 ovmf Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023280.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CESA-2019:0638 Important CentOS 7 openwsman Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023295.html
Errata and Bugfix Advisories
We issued the following CEBA (CentOS Errata and Bugfix Advisories) during April:
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0689 CentOS 6 tzdata BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023254.html
- Mon Apr 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0689 CentOS 7 tzdata BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023260.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CEBA-2019:0719 CentOS 6 nss-pam-ldapd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023262.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CEBA-2019:0718 CentOS 6 autofs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023263.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CEBA-2019:0716 CentOS 6 cups BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023264.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CEBA-2019:0726 CentOS 6 glibc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023266.html
- Fri Apr 12 2019: CEBA-2019:0728 CentOS 7 glibc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023269.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0811 CentOS 7 selinux-policy BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023279.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0820 CentOS 7 systemd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023281.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0817 CentOS 7 mutter BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023282.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0816 CentOS 7 sssd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023283.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0815 CentOS 7 pango BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023285.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0807 CentOS 7 gcc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023286.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0824 CentOS 7 gdm BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023287.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0808 CentOS 7 iproute BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023288.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0825 CentOS 7 gnome-shell-extensions BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023289.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0810 CentOS 7 kexec-tools BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023290.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0826 CentOS 7 scap-security-guide BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023291.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0819 CentOS 7 sos BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023292.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0821 CentOS 7 libvirt BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023293.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0814 CentOS 7 lvm2 BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023294.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0812 CentOS 7 httpd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023296.html
- Tue Apr 30 2019: CEBA-2019:0813 CentOS 7 nss-pam-ldapd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-April/023297.html
SIGs - Special Interest Groups - are where people work on the stuff that runs on top of CentOS. We have recently started having SIGs report quarterly, so we have just a few of them each month, getting through the entire list every 3 months.
We have the following SIG reports this month:
The NFV SIG posted their report to the CentOS blog.
This is by no means a complete report but here are a few "juicy" notes
hopefully worth sharing!
Starting in May we'll have a new member in the Storage SIG: Francesco
Pantano, he'll start helping us with the maintenance of the
Ceph/ceph-ansible builds (and their deps).
We have in fact finally populated our Ceph Nautilus repo with a initial
Ceph Nautilus build and we also included RC builds of ceph-ansible;
please help us test both Ceph and the deployment tool itself enabling
the SIG repos by installing the new centos-release-ceph-nautilus package.
We're looking for help with the new builds test automation; ideally we'd
like to have automatic promotion into -release repos of the new builds
when these pass testing; if you can or are interested in helping us with
this effort please get in touch!
See you online.
In April, as mentioned above, we ran a CentOS Dojo at ORNL - Oak Ridge National Labs. The presentation slides are starting to get added to the event website. We expect to have the full video from the event within the next week or two.
I'm writing this newsletter from the Open Infrastructure Summit (formerly known as OpenStack Summit), in Denver. We joined our friends from RDO and Ceph, as well as our colleagues from Red Hat, to discuss all aspects of open infrastructure, especially OpenStack.
A high point included the gathering of some of the largest open science clusters on the planet, running their OpenStack/RDO clouds on CentOS
— RDO (@RDOcommunity) April 30, 2019
And, coming up, we're planning to run a CentOS Dojo in Boston, on the day before DevConf.US. The call for presentations is open, and we want to hear from you! Talks about anything you're doing in, on, or around CentOS is fair game. Submit your talks HERE.
Contributing to CentOS Pulse
We are always on the look-out for people who are interested in helping to:
- report on CentOS community activity
- provide a report from the SIG on which you participate
- maintain a (sub-)section of the newsletter
- write an article on an interesting person or topic
- provide the hint, tip or trick of the month
Please see the page with further information about contributing. You can also contact the Promotion SIG, or just email Rich directly ([email protected]) with ideas or articles that you'd like to see in the next newsletter.