CentOS Blog: CentOS Pulse Newsletter, March 2019 (#1903)
Dear CentOS enthusiast,
Another month into 2019, and we have a lot to tell you about.
CentOS is 15!
As you may have seen either at recent events, or on social media, we're getting ready to celebrate our 15th birthday! As part of that, Rich has been interviewing various people who were around in those early years, to get some of the back-story on how it all happened. You'll start seeing these interviews on the blog in the month of March.
This week, we have published an interview with Greg Kurtzer, who founded the project in the first place.
Later, we'll be publishing interviews with Karsten Wade, Manuel "wolfy" Wolfshant, and Mike McLean, with others to come.
If you would like to talk about your involvement in CentOS, please get in touch with Rich at [email protected] You don't need to be one of the founders - just to have something interesting to say about your involvement, past, present, and future.
Releases and updates
February was a very busy month for errata and updates. The links below are to the release notes for each update.
Errata and Enhancements Advisories
We issued the following CEEA (CentOS Errata and Enhancements Advisories) during February:
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEEA-2019:0178 CentOS 7 libreswan Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023152.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEEA-2019:0180 CentOS 7 osinfo-db Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023171.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEEA-2019:0208 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-qed Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023196.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEEA-2019:0208 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-qede Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023198.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEEA-2019:0208 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-qedf Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023199.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEEA-2019:0208 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-qedi Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023200.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEEA-2019:0208 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-qedr Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023201.html
Errata and Security Advisories
We issued the following CESA (CentOS Errata and Security Advisories) during February:
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0163 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023149.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0160 Important CentOS 7 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023154.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0219 Critical CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023155.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0201 Low CentOS 7 systemd Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023163.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2018:3140 Moderate CentOS 7 gdm Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023179.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0194 Moderate CentOS 7 bind Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023182.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0218 Critical CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023187.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CESA-2019:0159 Important CentOS 6 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023188.html
- Fri Feb 8 2019: CESA-2019:0232 Important CentOS 6 spice-server Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023189.html
- Fri Feb 8 2019: CESA-2019:0269 Important CentOS 6 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023190.html
- Sat Feb 9 2019: CESA-2019:0229 Important CentOS 7 ghostscript Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023191.html
- Sat Feb 9 2019: CESA-2019:0231 Important CentOS 7 spice Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023192.html
- Sat Feb 9 2019: CESA-2019:0270 Important CentOS 7 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023193.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CESA-2019:0373 Important CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023194.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CESA-2019:0374 Important CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023195.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CESA-2019:0368 Important CentOS 7 systemd Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023202.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CESA-2019:0375 Important CentOS 7 flatpak Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023203.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CESA-2019:0416 Moderate CentOS 6 java-1.8.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023208.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CESA-2019:0415 Important CentOS 6 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023209.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CESA-2019:0420 Important CentOS 6 polkit Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023210.html
Errata and Bugfix Advisories
We issued the following CEBA (CentOS Errata and Bugfix Advisories) during February:
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0171 CentOS 7 grub2 BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023150.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0182 CentOS 7 ImageMagick BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023151.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0172 CentOS 7 nss BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023153.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0184 CentOS 7 sos BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023156.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0198 CentOS 7 qemu-kvm BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023157.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0196 CentOS 7 pacemaker BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023158.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0190 CentOS 7 ipa BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023159.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0185 CentOS 7 xorg-x11-server BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023160.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0176 CentOS 7 xorg-x11-drv-ati BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023161.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0192 CentOS 7 selinux-policy BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023162.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0167 CentOS 7 tomcatjss BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023164.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0193 CentOS 7 glibc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023165.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0181 CentOS 7 squid BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023166.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0169 CentOS 7 sssd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023167.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2018:3195 CentOS 7 pki-core BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023168.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0199 CentOS 7 policycoreutils BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023169.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0191 CentOS 7 openldap BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023170.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0195 CentOS 7 nvme-cli BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023172.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0189 CentOS 7 mesa BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023173.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0172 CentOS 7 nss-util BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023174.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0197 CentOS 7 libvirt BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023175.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0183 CentOS 7 krb5 BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023176.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0187 CentOS 7 lvm2 BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023177.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0174 CentOS 7 libvirt-snmp BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023178.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0175 CentOS 7 freetype BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023180.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0177 CentOS 7 fence-agents BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023181.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0179 CentOS 7 389-ds-base BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023183.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0173 CentOS 7 augeas BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023184.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0200 CentOS 7 adcli BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023185.html
- Fri Feb 1 2019: CEBA-2019:0170 CentOS 7 efivar BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023186.html
- Wed Feb 20 2019: CEBA-2019:0351 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-nfit BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023197.html
- Thu Feb 21 2019: CEBA-2019:0389 CentOS 7 kmod-redhat-lpfc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023204.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CEBA-2019:0412 CentOS 6 unbound BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023205.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CEBA-2019:0413 CentOS 6 binutils BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023206.html
- Tue Feb 26 2019: CEBA-2019:0414 CentOS 6 sos BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023207.html
- Thu Feb 28 2019: CEBA-2019:C001 CentOS 7 shim BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-February/023211.html
SIGs - Special Interest Groups - are where people work on the stuff that runs on top of CentOS. We have recently started having SIGs report quarterly, so we have just a few of them each month, getting through the entire list every 3 months.
There was presentation on NFV SIG at the CentOS dojo.
We hope to get fd.io vpp 19.01 release RPMs in mirrors before the end of February. Stay tuned.
More information on the NFV SIG, including how to get involved, may be found on their wiki page.
The opstools SIG has published their quarterly report to the CentOS Blog.
More information on the Opstools SIG, including how to get involved, may be found on their wiki page.
The Virtualization SIG has published their quarterly report to the CentOS Blog.
More information about the Virtualization SIG, including how to get involved, may be found on their wiki page.
FOSDEM was, of course, in February, but we reported on that in last months' newsletter.
This month, we'll be sponsoring FOSSAsia in Singapore! We'll have a CentOS table there, and we'll have participation from numerous of our favorite projects, including Ansible, ManageIQ, Fedora, and Dogtag.
We are ramping up towards the CentOS Dojo at ORNL, which is now just a month and a half away. We have published our speaker list, and the full schedule of talks should be up very soon. Register today to attend! (Registration is free, but due to the nature of the facility, you must register in advance to gain access through security.)
If you would like to host a Dojo, or have a suggestion for where we should have one, please get in touch with the CentOS Promo mailing list.
Other upcoming events are always listed on the events wiki page.
Contributing to CentOS Pulse
We are always on the look-out for people who are interested in helping to:
- report on CentOS community activity
- provide a report from the SIG on which you participate
- maintain a (sub-)section of the newsletter
- write an article on an interesting person or topic
- provide the hint, tip or trick of the month
Please see the page with further information about contributing. You can also contact the Promotion SIG, or just email Rich directly ([email protected]) with ideas or articles that you'd like to see in the next newsletter.